"It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious middle temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir of a type well known in the east, striding half-naked up the steps of the viceregal palace, while he is still organizing and conducting a defiant campaign of civil disobedience, to parley on equal terms with the representative of the king-emperor."
- Winston Churchill, 1930
"I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed."
- Mohandas Gandhi in May 1940,
“Brahmins who mouth and patter principles of Western Liberalism."
- Churchill on Indian Congress leaders
"God forbid that
- Gandhi on Economy
"If we had the atom bomb, we would have used it against the British."
- Speech (16 June 1947) as the official date for Indian independence approached (15 August 1947) , as quoted in Mahatma Gandhi : The Last Phase (1958) by Pyarelal, p. 326
- Churchill, Speech at Royal Albert Hall,
"Power will go to the hands of rascals, rogues and freebooters. All Indian leaders will be of low calibre and men of straw."
- Churchill, on the eve of Indian Independence in 1947